Minutes from the Oct 2008
Connecticut Robotics Society Meeting:
Total Attendance: 13
1) As this was the first meeting at our new location, the East Hartford Public Library, Jake gave an explanation as to how we got there.
2) Then Jake talked about the Connecticut Science Center which is scheduled to open around April 2009.
The Connecticut Science Center ( http://www.ctsciencecenter.org ) will have lots of really interesting exhibits and programs.
A one day ticket to the CSC will cost normally $16.
We have arranged for members of the Connecticut Robotics Society to be able to join the CSC as Season Pass holders for only $28. This is what you will get:
1. Unlimited admission to the CSC and the after-hours programs for the life of the pass.
2. If you sign up by November 25, you will get a 15 months pass. (Normal passes are 12 months)
3. The 15 months will start when the CSC actually opens in April 2009.
4. The $28 is fully tax deductible as a charitable donation so in the 25% bracket it will actually only cost $21.
If you are interested in this one-time opportunity, send
check for $28 payable to "CT Science Center"
We need the above information for each person you are registering, but you need to send in only one check covering the full amount.
Mail this to
190 Mohegan Drive
West Hartford, CT 06117
All information and checks must be received by Jake by November 25.
3) Scott was up next and gave an interesting talk about a robot arm that he is involved with at his place of employment. The arm has a laser for cladding and deposition. It will be used in the repair of very expensive parts. There was talk of a possible club trip to see it.
4) Another member got up and talked about fabricating your own parts, LEDs, and a neat remote control 4-wheel drive car.
5) Mark W. gave away a SMT repair kit.
6) Someone else got up and gave a electroluminence foil demo (see www.cooltronics.com).
7) Jake talked about an idea to meet at the CSC (Connecticut Science Center) when it opens in April 2009. He also mentioned that the club could make a robotics exhibit for the CSC.
8) We then talked about doing some contests this year. Jim said he had some ideas for simple contests that would be easy to prepare for at home.
The meeting adjourned around 3:45pm